It's recommended to get your spray tan done a day or so before your special event to ensure it has fully developed (If your event is on a Saturday, get your tan done on the Thursday night.) This also allows some time for repairs or touch ups if your tan is not 100% perfect. Below are some helpful tips on how to prepare, attend and maintain your spray tan:
- Wax/shave 48hrs before your tan. This allows the pores time to close otherwise dotting in pores may appear.
- Exfoliate and moisturise 24hrs before your tan, paying particular attention to your knees, elbows, ankles and problem dry areas. It's recommended to use exfoliating gloves you can get these for $2 from Kmart.
- Shower before your tan appointment.
- Do not apply moisturiser, deodorant, perfume or foundation before your tan or until after your first shower.
At your appointment:
- Dry your hair before your appointment, enough that it will not drip/run into your new spray tan.
- Bring/wear loose, dark coloured clothing after the initial application while the spray tan is developing on your skin.
- Avoid wearing tight clothing such as jeans, socks, bra, tights, watch, sneakers etc.
- Bring a towel to sit on in your car.
- Avoid sitting on particularly porous surfaces such as suede, leather, pale fabrics etc as staining may occur.
- While your spray tan is developing before your first shower, avoid any physical exercise, heat or other situations where you may sweat. Also avoid situations where you may potentially get wet as both of these factors can affect the outcome of your spray tan while it is developing. If this does occur, pat the affected area lightly with a clean, dry cloth – usually your tan will be unaffected and just the surface bronzers will appear blemished but the actual result will be indicated after showering.
- Shower the spray tan off at the time your technician advised.
- Your tan will not be visible when rinsed off, it will continue to develop and will be visible after ~8 hours.
- Your spray tan should last between 5 to 10 days. Using a good quality moisturiser, body oil or tan extender each morning will help to prolong the life of your spray tan. Avoid scrubbing your body.
- Avoid chlorinated swimming pools during the life of your spray tan as chlorine will strip the product from your skin.
- Avoid swimming and spa/sauna. These will all strip/remove your spray tan.
- Avoid exfoliating until you are ready to take the tan off.
- Always remember to apply a high spectrum SPF sunscreen because although you may look brown after a spray tan, your skin is still vulnerable to UVA and UVB rays.
- Gradual tan products can start to be used at day 5 after your tan to extend your spray tan.
- Model co tan remover exfoliating soap is great for removing spray tan.
- Having a bath with a bath bomb is a good way to soften the skin and begin exfoliating off tan, too.
By following these guidelines you will get the best results out of your spray tan.